Unusual Enrollment History

Effective with the 2013-2014 academic year, the U.S. Department of Education has established new regulations to prevent fraud and abuse in the Federal Pell Grant Program by identifying students with unusual enrollment histories. Some students who have an unusual enrollment history have legitimate reasons for their enrollment at multiple institutions. However, such an enrollment history requires our office to review your file in order to determine future federal financial aid eligibility. If selected by the Department of Education, this must be resolved before you will receive financial aid.

What is Unusual Enrollment?

The specific pattern the Department of Education uses to select students includes those students who have received a Federal Pell Grant at multiple institutions during the past three academic years. The unusual enrollment history (UEH) is a specific enrollment pattern in which students attend an institution long enough to receive Title IV credit balance funds, leave without completing the enrollment period, enrolls at another institution, and repeats the pattern of enrollment just long enough to collect another Title IV balance without having earned any academic credit. There may be cases where students have a legitimate reason for enrollment at multiple institutions. However, such an enrollment history requires a review to determine whether there are valid reasons for the UEH. If you received a Federal Pell Grant at multiple institutions in recent academic years (2017-2018, 2018- 2019, & 2019-2020), your 2020-2021 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) will be flagged for unusual enrollment history (UEH).

What Will Be Required of You

If selected, you must complete the Unusual Enrollment History Form. We will check your financial aid history at your previous institutions that you attended during the last 4 years. You are required to have received academic credit at any institution you received the Federal Pell grant while attending in those relevant academic years. You will need to request official transcripts from all colleges you have attended for our office to review. These official transcripts should be sent to the Admissions office. No aid will be determined until all required documentation has been received. Once all transcripts have been received, our office will verify that academic credit was received at each institution during the relevant years. If so, we will notify you that you have satisfied this requirement. If you failed to receive academic credit at any institution you received a Federal Pell grant at during the relevant award years, your federal financial aid will be denied and you will be notified.

Appeal Process

For the appeal process, you will need to attach to the Unusual Enrollment History form, a typed and detailed statement with your signature explaining why you failed to earn academic credit. Submit a separate statement for each of the institutions which you attended but failed to earn academic credit. Attach any documentation you feel is relevant to your situation.
If a student did not earn academic credit at one or more of the relevant institutions and does not provide, to the Financial Aid administrator's satisfaction, an acceptable explanation and documentation for each of those failures, the institution must deny the student any further Title IV assistance.