Pets/Animals and College Facilities

This procedure addresses the guidelines and responsibilities for individuals requesting a pet/animal in college facilities. Pets/animals are prohibited from all college facilities except for:

1. Animals used for teaching/competition with prior approval of Vice President of Instruction.
2. Service animals assisting an individual with a disability.
3. Residential Hall Supervisors are permitted to have a pet in their respective apartments.

The purpose of this procedure is to provide guidelines for students requesting permission to have a pet/animal in college facilities. Employees requesting a disability accommodation of a service animal must contact the Director of Personnel.

Federal regulations define a “service animal” as “dogs that are individually trained to do work or perform tasks for people with disabilities.” A service animal is permitted to be in a college facility, unless the animal’s behavior necessitates removal. Service animals must be harnessed, leashed, or tethered, unless these devices interfere with the service animal’s work or the individual’s disability prevents using these devices. Service animals are working animals, not pets. The work or task a dog has been trained to provide must be directly related to the person’s disability. Dogs whose sole function is to provide comfort or emotional support do not qualify as service animals under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).

Pratt Community College is committed to comply with state and federal laws regarding individuals with disabilities. A special accommodation request is made through the Student Success Center (SSC) and required documentation must be provided. A Student Success Team (SST) will review each student’s documentation and request for special accommodations. The SST will approve or deny accommodations for each student requesting services and notify the student in writing.

A service animal may be permitted in a college housing facility as a reasonable accommodation only if approved by the Student Success Team and based on the following:

  • The student has a documented disability;
  • Required documentation is provided, as requested by the Student Success Center;
  • The animal is a service animal;
  • A signed letter on professional letterhead from a licensed physician, psychiatrist, social worker or mental health professional that states:
    • The nature of the disabling condition or impairment;

Upon approval of special accommodations by the SST, a student who desire to have a service animal in college housing must submit the appropriate residence hall application paperwork and $200 deposit required of all students. Availability of campus housing is not guaranteed as campus housing is available on a first-come, first serve basis to all students upon submission of the required application paperwork and $200 deposit.

A service animal will not be permitted in a college facility if the animal:

  • Poses a direct threat to the health and safety of others;
  • Causes substantial physical damage to the property of others;
  • Poses an undue financial or administrative burden; or
  • Fundamentally alters the nature of college operations.

A service animal that is disruptive, or that is not housebroken, will not be permitted in college facilities. Disruptive behavior includes, but is not limited to, barking, jumping on individuals, growling at individuals, or the owner’s failure to have the animal on a leash when in common/shared areas of the college campus.

A student who is permitted to have a service animal in a college facility is financially responsible for any property damage caused by the animal. The student is responsible for the care of a service animal, and for cleaning up any waste created by the animal.

Policy Number: 


Policy Type: 

Administrative Policy

Adoption Date: 

Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Review Date: 

Tuesday, July 16, 2019