Public Access to Student Records
In accordance with the Kansas Association of School Board recommended policy concerning public access to student records and the data contained therein, Pratt Community College may make certain directory information available without parental or eligible student's consent, if public notice of the categories of information designated as directory information has been given. After such public notice has been given, the parents have the right to object to the release of the information without their consent. Directory information includes the following information about the student: the student's name, address, telephone number, picture, parent or guardian, date and place of birth, major field of study, weight, height, participation in and eligibility for officially recognized activities and sports, dates of attendance or grade placement, honors and awards received, and the most recent educational agency or school attended by the student.
Pratt Community College may disclose the student's education records to the following persons without the prior consent of the student:
1. Other school officials, including instructors within the college who have legitimate educational interests.
2. Officials of other schools in which the student intends to enroll.
3. Authorized persons to whom a student has applied for or from whom a student has received financial aid.
4. State and local officials or authorities to whom such information is specifically required to be reported or disclosed pursuant to state statute.
5. Organizations conducting studies for educational agencies for the purpose of developing, validating, or administering student tests or programs.
Permission for access will be granted to a third party if the student requests it. Any such request must be in writing to the registrar of Pratt Community College. Access to records of a deceased student shall not be granted.
No personally identifiable information contained in personal school records shall be furnished to any person other than those listed herein and only under the following conditions:
1. When there is written instruction from the student specifying the records, the reasons, and the person(s) to whom the release is to be made, with a copy of the records to be released to the student if so desired.
2. When such information is requested in compliance with a judicial order or pursuant to any lawfully issued subpoena upon condition that the student is notified of all such orders or subpoenas in advance of the compliance.
Nothing in this policy shall preclude authorized representatives of the Comptroller General of the United States, the Secretary and an administrative head of an educational agency or state authorities from having access to student or other records which may be necessary in connection with the audit and evaluation of federally supported education programs or the enforcement of the federal legal requirements which relate to such programs, provided that, except as the collection of personally identifiable data is specifically authorized by federal law, the data collection by such official with respect to individual students shall not include information (including social security numbers) which would permit the personal identification of such students after the data so obtained had been collected.
With respect to the above, all persons, agencies, or organizations desiring access to the records of a student shall be required to sign a written form which shall be kept permanently with the file of the student, but only for inspection by the student or school official and his/her assistants responsible for record maintenance, indicating specifically the legitimate educational or other interest of each person, agency, or organization has in seeking this information. Such forms shall be available to the school official and his/her assistants responsible for record maintenance as a means of auditing the operation of the system.
Personal information shall only be transferred to a third party only on the condition that such party shall not permit any other party to have access to such information without written consent of the student.
Pratt Community College, Board of Trustees, administration, faculty, and staff shall protect the rights of privacy of students and their families in connection with any surveys or data gathering activities conducted, assisted, or authorized by the Board or administration. Regulations established under this policy shall include provisions controlling the use, dissemination, and protection of such data.
All students enrolling in Pratt Community College shall be deemed to have agreed to the publication of personal data as indicated previously unless a disclaimer is filed with the Vice President of Students and Enrollment Management by the 10th day of the semester in which the initial enrollment is made. All inquiries regarding this policy and its provisions should be directed to the Vice President of Students and Enrollment Management.
X This replaces policy dated 3-26-01.